Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving.

Tomorrow I leave for Vienna and Salzburg for the Vienna Christmas markets and Sound of Music tour in Salzburg. I'm flying on Air Swiss and I have a short layover in Zurich. I'm really excited! And I'm also really excited about not having school until next Monday. Yahoo!

I'm most likely not going to have internet access over the holiday while I'm in Austria, and I thought I needed to make a post about Thanksgiving since I'm not able to be there to celebrate with everyone in Phoenix.

I can remember many Thanksgiving holidays from my childhood, many consisting of games with Uncle Tom and sitting at the kids table with my siblings and cousins. Another thing I remember about Thanksgiving as a kid is wondering why we never held hands and went around the table reciting somewhat pre-rehearsed statements about what we were thankful for that year. I remember actually being kind of upset about it. I thought, they did it in all the movies and Thanksgiving TV specials, so why didn't my family do the same? However, now that I'm older (and wiser) I realize that what makes holidays special has nothing to do with commercialized tradition, or expectations, or presents, or perfection. It's simply about people getting together to celebrate the joy of one another and the joy of the lives we've been given. Whether it be Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other significant holiday.

However, even though I've discovered that Thanksgiving with my family is special because of our own quirky traditions (Turkey Trot, Mom bossing me around to help her since Martha is M.I.A. and Cooper is "napping", all cousins expecting money from Uncle Tom) and because we miraculously take the time out of our busy lives to spend an entire day all together, I still haven't lost the desire to share everything that I'm thankful for this year. And while I'm at it, I might as well make up for those years passed.

I am thankful....


For my parents. For the fact that I know they will always be there, rain or shine, no questions asked. They have never failed to encourage be to be all that I can be. For being at every softball game, congratulating every good grade, going along with whatever my passion was at the moment. For supporting my love of music. For giving me the tools and encouragement to seize every opportunity, to dive for every dream.

For my mom, who I know would go to the world and back for me. For always giving me advice, which is correct most of the time, even when I refuse to listen. For worrying about me, comforting me, and always having my best interests in mind. For being there to catch me when I fall. For being a great mom, mentor, woman, and eventually, best friend. And lastly, for that time in high school when you picked me up from a party when I was hiding from the cops in a closet.

For my dad, who never disappoints. For pushing me, always, to do the right thing, not because someone's watching but because I know it's the right thing to do. For always being honest. For driving me to every batting practice, every softball tournament. For comic relief. For teaching me simple, endless lessons that have contributed to my character. For always understanding, for keeping me from getting ahead of myself. For not caring what others think, and teaching me to do the same.

I am thankful...

For my brother and sister. For being role models. For paving the way. For helping me grow up. For setting examples, many of which I learned to follow, many of which I definitely knew not to follow. For taking care of me, giving me advice, for being there when I call. For not ignoring me when you went off to college. For treating me (eventually) like a friend, and not like your little sister. And for breaking Mom and Dad in so by the time I got to high school they weren't strict anymore and I got away with a lot more than you did. (I think we all know it's true.)

For Martha, for being my big sister. For putting up with me. For laughing with me. For laughing at me. For cheering me up, in some way that only you know how. For letting me tag along. For helping our relationship as sisters turn into a friendship. For thinking my stupid jokes are funny. For all your hand-me downs. For being my best friend.

For Cooper, for being my brother. For making sure I stay on track. For sharing things with me: Gonzaga, Basketball, friendship. For never leaving me out, especially in Spokane. For never falling out of touch. For helping me pave my way, for being someone I can look up to. For being proud of me.

I am thankful...


For my family. For all of you. Parents and siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins and friends. They say that no family is normal, and mine can definitely attest to that. My family is not normal... it is eccentric, zany, strong, and beautiful.

For my health, intellect, well-being. Gifts given by God, utilized by me, encouraged by my parents.

Lastly, for this journey abroad. For being able to experience so many different cultures, meet new people, make new memories, embark on new adventures. For getting me out of my comfort zone, and allowing me to grow. Albert Camus said, "The most obvious benefit of travel is fear." Meaning that without getting totally out of your comfort zone, without putting yourself in situations that you have no experience in, you won't experience anything at all. No one ever grew intellectually, spiritually, internally, philosophically, by staying in one place. By traveling all over and immersing myself in another culture, stepping outside my boundaries, I am allowing myself to truly grow as a human being. And that is one great gift, for which I am thankful.

I am thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment